2.07.2010

Savannah puts on her best dress



As I drove down Oglethorpe Street a joy rose in me. I was back in the deep South. Live oak trees draped in spanish moss; the azaleas are in full bloom; victorian homes leaning on one another as old friends well acquainted with each other; sunlight dappled squares; carriage horses and SCAD students on bikes compete for the right away.. Of these things I miss. Arriving in Savannah on a Friday morning, I could hardly wait to submerge myself back into a culture that had become a warm blanket to my soul during my college years.



Savannah is on the way to nowhere yet when you arrive you wondered how you even came to be in such a beautiful city. A city which was saved during Sherman's march to the sea, destroying everything on his way to Charleston. The city was spared and presented as a gift to President Lincoln at Christmas- along with cotton and guns. Though it is a city that may have been saved by the wrath of an army- it has suffered much over the centuries. From many area fires; hurricanes and tropical storms; racism and what could of been it's fate- to be left to itself; cast away and forgotten. It's savior and much credit is given to the rise of a certain 'book' as referred to by locals and what has become the country's leading art college {Savannah College of Art and Design}- this city of steeples now thrives and is very much alive. Yet this city lives as water and oil separate yet together. There are many cultures here which live among the other. To the innocent eye, you'd think this charming southern town was just that. Charming. It was once said of Savannah "a beautiful woman with a dirty face". And though it is charming, it has a darker reality- one that is rooted in the supernatural and the reality that is racism. Is this not where the American southern gothic movement is stepped in? Tennessee Williams described as ' .. an underlying dreadfulness in modern experience". Not to detract from it's beauty as it is captivating and unique, alluring. It stirs and inspires the imagination. Yet I can't deny that I was exposed to a harsh reality that had yet to expose itself to me: racism. Rather for now, I'm not here to express my experience of this in Savannah. I've since seen an uglier picture of this far beyond this little city off a forgotten highway.

While living in Savannah, never did I grow tired or accustom to the beauty that always left me admiring and in awe. Having never owned a car throughout my college years, I'd bike around the squares admiring the various details on my way to class and back. There was always a new room; a new corner; a new garden; a new home; new design to discover. Your senses are overwhelmed. Being an artist, this city inspires and moves you in your attempt to capture and convey beauty. Oh how I felt my soul swollen in a way that I was ready to feast on this once again. Texas.. you've yet to stir this within me.





This past weekend's return to the South was a result of being asked to participate in SCAD's Student Acceptance Day. Students who'd been accepted but had to make a concert decision on a college pouring in from all over the country (and the world) to check out the school in more detail. SCAD flew 4 of us alumni in to share about our experiences at the university and how we are currently using our degree in our field. SCAD knows how to put on an event! I enjoyed meeting with parents and students; encouraging them and sharing my experiences along with what sets this school apart. It was an honor to be a part of this day and be around so many excited students!





After the SCAD event had come to an end, I jumped in the car and drove out hwy 80 towards Tybee Island. Windows down, crossing over the various bridges that take you to Tybee.. the salty sea air begins to stir memories that have gathered dust for too long. There is a reason so many writers choose the Low Country as their subject.. it is intoxicating. Satisfied once I had sunk my toes into the warm Georgia sand; I return to Savannah. The remaining day was left to my pleasure. Now that the dormant memories had been dusted off, I felt it was time to wander down the streets I'd spent living on for so many years. As I approached my old home, I had the feeling someone would be on the front porch. Sure enough.. not one but three people sat gathered for an evening cocktail, music and musings. I approached with rising joy. As I walked up the steps and explained how this had been my home throughout college.. they exclaimed 'are you Kyle?'. Wow.. how did they know who I was? Amazingly enough, this was the family that had bought the house from my parents. They then asked if I would like to wander through the house. Could I really? I can't explain the emotions that were so deeply stirred as I crossed the threshold of that old house on 124 W Huntingdon Street. That house of which I'd grown to love and care for so deeply... it was like being reunited with a long lost friend after so many years. Wandering through the house, my heart was swollen remembering all that passed through.. all the memories.. the good.. the bad.. the beautiful.. the brokenness.. life! They say that college years are your best. Looking back at this time this past weekend, it very much will always remain a special season of my life.

The next morning I left for South Carolina where I went to visit my grandmother. Driving over the Savannah River, again I was struck with the beauty that surrounded me. How incredibly deprived of this I am here in Texas. Live oak trees and pine tree canopied the backroads that took me through the town of Bluffton. Here I stopped to visit a beautiful wooden church that sits on the bluffs on the May River. Taking my shoes off, the soft grass and sunny day beckoned me to enjoy. For some time I sat overlooking the river that would eventually take you to the ocean ..watching people on small motor boats and kayaks savor the day. Driving back through the little town, I stopped to wander through several of the art galleries. As small as this town is, they had more art galleries than I've seen in a long time. My favorite happened to be more of a work space- outdoor gallery of sorts. Exploring this little space was a delightful gift. It only added to the magic of the day.. all too soon it was time to leave and continue my drive to Hilton Head Island..



What I walked away with from this weekend was the realization of how dormant my creative side has been these years since graduating. Within my job, I'm able to use my education, experiences and knowledge acquired while in school. Yet creating work that extends beyond my job has been asleep for too long. For the first time in awhile, I felt inspired, rejuvenated, encouraged and challenged to look at how I can begin to integrate my abilities, experiences, opportunities, awareness and network into something that extends beyond me creating art for the sake of art.

Connected to this kindled realization was the need for deep community here in Dallas. I have made great friends but lack a community. This was very apparent as I walked around Savannah this weekend seeing everyone out and about and recognizing the isolation that has become my life outside of my tours. I have made a good life for myself here but what does it mean if it's only you experiencing it? Yet rather than feeling discouraged, I returned to Dallas with a renewed hope in what God is doing within my life. He is stirring something big time and this weekend revealed to me that He is knows my heart. To trust Him and continuing to walk in obedience out of my affection for Him.

Now to start sketching out ideas... it always starts with an idea..

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein

"You can't do anything about the length of your life, but you can do something about its width and depth." - Shira Tehran

“All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Places to check out in Savannah
Cha Bella Farm to Table restaurant
Harris Baking Company - amazing bakery
Bohemain Hote - they have a great rooftop bar that overlooks the Savannah River.
The Paris Market and Brocante this place was gorgeous..! and they had a little espresso bar. They the blueberry, espresso and cream drink.. divine!
shopSCAD - all items created by SCAD students
Working Class Studio

1 comment:

Shannon Ethridge said...

Looks like a definite "next stop" on our journey! Thanks, Kyle!