7.18.2008

A picture of peace






The train journey into the heart of Switzerland found me once again without words. The two hour ride felt as if only moments passed as I found it hard for me to pull myself away from the view which lay outside my window seat. How quiet the car was as compared to most trains throughout Italy. Don’t get me wrong, I adore Italians.. but they are loud. You sit on a train through Italy and the phones are ringing letting you know of their importance as you hear every word of their conversations.. the hands flying.. even the announcements, which come ever so often to let you know of your arrival. But on the little William Tell Express train.. the Swiss were quiet as if too left speechless by the vistas we now traveled through.

++++++++++

Gimmelwald

The views continue to get better. If you could see this view from where I find myself curled up under a blanket here on the porch, you would never want to leave. I will try and paint a picture.. all around me are snowy mountain peaks, waterfalls streams down until they become mist.. a fog is rolling in and this changes the atmosphere of this place.. chickens move out of the corner of my eye seeking food in the flower covered meadows.. birds sings and you hear the bells signaling the movemnts of the local resident cows and goats. Typical Swiss chalets dot the landscape, dark wood with beautiful designs carved into their doors and windows. Flowers, a myriad of colors spill from boxes in the windows and as you walk the little one street which runs through this little village, danndalions blows through the air as if this mountain itself is making a wish.. Laundry hands to my left and locals walk the street to my right greeting each other in dialect which is new to my ears. For a moment it began to rain, the sound adding to the symphony of sounds and soothing my soul. The temp has dropped a good 15 degrees in the past hour and the scent of wet fresh earth fills my lungs. This is a picture of peace. I am at peace here. All I need is a cup of coffee.. ;)

No comments: