2.11.2008

A room with a view.




The sun just set over the Gulf of Corinth. Watching the last color streak the sky blue pink, I close my eyes and take a deep breath. What a view! This little hotel hugs the side of a mountain leading to Delphi, land of the ancient oracles. We arrived this afternoon having come from Athens, with a short stop at the monastery of St Luke, a Byzantine Church dating back to the 10th century. A masterpiece of a monument!

For the past several days, I’ve been with a small group of students from Virginia. Leading them through the streets of Athens, I’m excited for them to see what the city has in store for us. How precious are these kids! They are beyond excited to be here and “see everything”, open to try new foods and fearless as the ways of a big city. Their excitement is contagious and it’s as if I’m just one of the kids seeing all of this with new eyes.

A local guide Filjia, has joined us from Meteora. She a fiery woman, short with blond hair, and only adds to our enjoyment.. gleaning us insight into this ancient civilization. The depth and passion of her knowledge is humbling! Oh how much I can learn from her. Already, she has invited me to stay with her when I come visit her town next month. Did I not tell you the Greeks were inviting?!

After a leisure afternoon of exploring little Delphi, we enjoyed another wonderful meal- by a fire nevertheless! Sitting there at dinner, I listening as the students laughed and talked with each other, so content and happy. In that moment, I felt so honored to share in this with them. To be apart of such an experience for them yet also have the platform to encourage them, love on them. How they hang on my words. It is quite empowering! Yet, I can only direct that back to God. This isn’t about me. And I wouldn’t want it to be any other way.

Now I sit here curled up in bed writing. The doors leading to the balcony are open. Though its cold, the fresh crisp air mingled with the comforting scent escaping from chimneys, makes its way into my room. I can’t think of a better way to drift into sleep..

Tomorrow we make our way to Corinth…

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Kyle,
I love this picture..it's my favorite! (Acropolis) I wish I could frame it! My family always makes fun of me, because whenever I see something I like, I say, "that would be so pretty with red geraniums in it!" So, even though they aren't red, they're close enough!
Louanne