3.05.2008

window seat


The sun is beginning to set. As the plane begins to gain air, ascending above the islands, thus the sun begins its descent. For a moment, I can’t distinguish between the sea and the sun- they’ve made a perfect marriage of the moment. Flying over a large island, I take this to be Crete. Did I just spend over a week in Greece?! As much as Italy has grown deep roots within me, I may just have a new favorite. Where Italy lacks, Greece more than makes up for. I’ve come to accept Italians for ‘that’s the way they are’ but as of late, the apathy and vocal opinions of Bush grow tiresome. What a welcome treat it was to be in a country where consistently you were greeted with a genuine warm smile- you felt welcomed, not an inconvenience.

I interrupt my own thoughts to mention that there is an incredible show going outside my window. The horizon line has turned the color of - never have I quite seen the sky a deep red such as I’m experiencing now.

In a short while, Rome will be my place of rest. For only a night will I call it ‘home’ before making the long stretch back stateside. Reflecting over the past week, words can not express the joy this sweet group brought me. Their excitement and willingness, their flexibility and laid back attitude not to mention their attentiveness and desire to understand, left an impression on me. As frustrating as traveling can be, how incredible has this week been!

Restaurants:
Aleska’s Tabepna • mnisikleous 2 • Plaka. Athens
Grill House • aischylou 14-16 • Psiri Square. Athens

2 comments:

Ik Ong Kaar said...

"a perfect marriage of the moment" how so wonderfully you have captured the infinite beauty both in words and in the picture. Needless to say it is now married to my computer :) as a desktop background. Thank you for sharing!!

Unknown said...

Kyle,
Your stories are like reading a chapter from my favorite book before going to bed! Thanks for all the beautiful stories and pictures!

Louanne