3.06.2008

Glimpses


Thirty hours have pasted since I left Dallas.. in that time, I’ve passed through five airports, taken 4 planes, taxis, shuttles, monorails, and am currently Greece bound on a flight which takes me far above a part of Europe I’ve yet to discover- The Balkans. The capitan just announced that we were somewhere over Serbia.. then Bulgaria. In addition to expressing his plea for all of us to stand by Olympic Airlines in their fight to continue to fly throughout Europe. This was said in Greek, German and finally English.

We are now circling Macedonia.

As I struggle to stay awake, I’m beyond tired. The woman next to me must be in her 60’s but looked much older. Moments ago I took out a Health magazine and laid it in the seat between us to remind myself to put it back in my bag. The woman next to me then snatched it up and began flipping through its’ pages. At first I was a little taken by her action then realized she was curious.. I watched her as she looked at the article on ‘ staying fit and young in your 30’s, 40’s and 50’s’. She was catching glimpses of a lifestyle much different than that of hers..

The plane is circling over Greece now. I can see the coast before me. Looks like an announcement was just made.. something has happened. Those who speak Greek have responded by throwing up their arms and voicing their annoyance at yet another delay in our landing… ahh, but we’ll get there. We are much closer than I was a day ago..

No comments: