3.06.2008

Uncharted waters.



Arriving into Thessaloniki’s airport, I now see why this is such a difficult city to fly into. As we taxied to the gate, I found myself searching for the actual airport. After being the such airports as Dallas… Kennedy … Frankfurt, I was amazed to see such a small outpost when I did see the little building.. ‘so THIS is why such few flights come and go from this place…’ Joining the rest of the flight on our shuttle bus to (the 7th for the day?) the terminal, I noted that I was once again an outsider and felt the side-way glances my way.

Gathering my luggage, I went in search for a city bus. Oh wait.. that’s right, there are none today as guess what.. a strike. My favorite! Oh wait and the taxi’s aren’t running either.. great. Being in a new city.. in a language that not only could I not grasp but not even distinguish.. I told myself ‘think kyle.. what are your options’. So.. basically, I approached a stranger and asked for a ride. This goes against EVERYTHING you are told not to do when you are a kid. But what was I left with but to rely on those around me?

Thankfully, I found a man who was willing to take me to town as my hotel was in the center of the city. On the way, we picked up several other people. It was everything in me not to be a little anxious but just be cool and not assume the worst. A new landscape flew by me and, twenty minutes later, I was in front of my hotel. Ok. I work for a ministry. A non profit organization. We don’t stay in hotels that leave much to write home about but when I stepped through the revolving doors into the lobby of the Hotel Capsis.. massive chandeliers hung above a spacious marble lobby, fresh flowers graced each table and well- dressed men greeting me with polished smiles. I actually stepped back outside and looked at the sign to make sure I was in the right place! And to my relief.. I was ☺

After 30 hours of travel.. I wanted nothing more than to curl up in bed and shut the world off. I fought sleep for a shower and exploring. Before doing so, I watched the sunset over the port of Thessaloniki from my balcony. I have to remind myself to find moments to stop and feel the silence.

Setting out to wander the city, I had no sense of where to even go. So I started to walk. There is something exilerating about exploring uncharted waters, all that is unknown and unfamiliar to me. I had no preconceived ideas as to what this part of the country was like therefore I welcomed the newness of this experience. After awhile, I came to an area of darkened side streets. Again, I went against what your taught as a child- don’t go wandering down darkened deserted streets alone. Yet it served me right as after a few moments of only hearing my foot steps, soon I saw lights draping across the streets as if to welcome me as if to say ‘we have something for you.’ The streets then gave way to a square surrounded by restaurants/cafes. And if you listened close enough, you could here that these streets whispered of the Orient of it’s past. Later I discovered this was the old Egyptian markets and later home to the Turkish Bazaar. Today is serves as a wonderful enclave of restaurants and cafes. I had hit the jackpot. Now I had to decide which one of these would win me over. After exploring a little, inspecting a several menus I made my decision.

Entering this little restaurant, I immediately felt the warmth of the environment. The painted walls mimicked the frescos I recall of that I’d seen in Pompeii, candles set on each table served as little beacons and contemporary Greek music played on low, setting the scene for my night. The past thirty hours of travels washed away the moment I sat down and I welcomed the night that lay before.

Dinner was something I savored: hearty bread with thyme and honeyed goat cheese spread, lightly fried zucchini and feta cakes served with a yogurt sauce, grilled pork in a white wine rosemary infused reduction sauce along with pureed potatoes. While enjoying this wonderful meal, I found that I was surrounded by Bulgarians, Slavs, Turks, Romanians and Greeks. Again I received my share of not only side way glances but an interest as to ‘where do you come from?’ You see this city is the gateway to the Balkans and a direct link to Istanbul… Constantinople. The interchange of cultures here is vibrant and much different than that which I experienced in Athens. Such history has this city known! Life is meant to be shared, savored and experienced. How we settle.. limit ourselves. Cut the rope that ties you to your harbor and let yourself explore these uncharted waters. What is your faith if you never allow for it?

Climbing into bed that night, I was excited for the week that lay ahead. Closing my eyes I could smell the sea drifting through the balcony doors which soon carried me to sleep.

Calendari Restaurant • 1 Oplopiou & Katouni Str. • Ladadika. Thessaloniki
Hotel Capsis • 18 Monastiriou Str. • Thessaloniki

No comments: