3.26.2008

island of roses





Our ship docked for the day at the island of Rhodes ‘Roses’. The morning was spent exploring the far part of the island in Lindos and the rest of the day in the old city of Rhodes. One of the enjoyable parts of the day is when the touring comes to a cease and the group is let loose to enjoy the rest of the day as they like.

As I’ve mentioned before, the first thing I do when I enter a new city- I explore. After taking care of things for the rest of the day and the following, I could now have my time to do as I please. Immediately I started off away from the hoards of tourists having disembarked with. Apparently we were the first cruise ship in of the season so the locals where armed and ready for us to spend our money, ‘you like? Have a look. Only 2 euros. Handmade’, they call out at us as we pass by. But rather than spend money.. I spent time wandering these empty winding streets, each corner offering some new around the corner. Wandering these streets, I felt like I was wandering through a maze yet rather than trying to find my way out.. I was trying to find my way in. Passing home with door half way open, as if only to give me a glimpse of the life so different from that of the southern hills I was brought up surrounded by. I spotted children playing soccer in the open squares.. women setting out pots of flowers.. men sitting in cafes smoking and discussing. No open fields here. Just the open sea.. and an island of stone roses..

No comments: